EXTINCTION (Mini-Review)

After seeing the Trailer for Netflix's 'Extinction', I immediately added it to my list to watch later. However, later never came because I decided to watch it immediately afterwards, just a little after midnight last night. My hopes were high for this one after seeing the extremely enticing trailer! So did it deliver? Well, let's get into it.

Peter, played by Michael Pena, is a man caught up in his work, causing him to break his most recent promise to spend more time with his wife & two daughters. Immediately after asking for an early day off, he passes out and slides into another one of his reoccurring nightmarish & apocalyptic dreams of an alien invasion. Upon waking he realizes he has completely blown it and returns home to his very upset family. To make amends, he promises to see a doctor, which he has refused to do previously, and his wife's frustration subsides, but only briefly. He arrives at the doctor for another round of strangeness when meeting another patient reveals that he is not the only one having these dreams. That night at a party with a host of family friends, his dreams become reality leaving his wife with no choice other than realizing he has been accurately right all along. Next comes a battle to protect his family from these invaders intent on humanity's total extermination.

For me, the movie has a nice pace, and introduces you to the characters and their world quickly with the ability to lure you into the story fairly well. You develop concern for his little family and others, early on, making their struggle to survive so much more effective. The hellish reality they face while seeing their entire world being obliterated, and the deaths of their closest friends, truly makes you ponder the question, what if something like this really occurred, how would one go about insuring the survival of those they love?

No, this film is not the science fiction masterpiece of the decade, not even of the past 5 years, but I feel it is a worthy film to spend 1 & 1/2 hours. I know that I have spent way too much time enduring movies from the very bottom of the trash bin and this one isn't even close to being that kind of rubbish. With a twist that I honestly did not see coming and some very tense moments, I think most viewers are in for an enjoyable sci-fi ride that exceeds much of what SyFy has to offer. Peña and Lizzy Caplan (the wife) both manage to pull off believable roles, and give great performances. Like I said, the movie isn't the most original, but it does have a twist that I personally enjoyed and think many fans will as well. Also, there is the fact that at least this isn't just another remake, reboot, or other rehashing of a well known film series or franchise! This is an original story, which I will embrace any day over another classic being blasphemously treated.

So, there you have it! I definitely feel the average Sci-fi/horror fan is not going to be utterly disappointed. I like to believe I am a true fan of the aforementioned genres and my reasonable thoughts represent a lot of other fans. I say, hop right on to it and embrace it for what it is. Kick back with some snacks and Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts